




As someone who has loved type and books all her life, at first glance these images were disturbing to me. I come from a place where it took me years to actually write in a book. But here, someone had the unmitigated gall (ha ha funny phrase) to cut into a book! But as I continued to look, I recognized how beautiful these were. Then I thought about a previous blog where I spoke of experimentation in books...well I got it.
These cuttings remind me of 2 things, the first are typographic maps of my childhood that I loved to look at in school. But the second, and most inspiring to me, are the ant "homes" that used to be in the concrete sidewalk of my childhood home. I remember being fascinated with them and would spend long stretches of time outside gazing at them. They looked exactly like these cuttings! I actually think this is where the ants laid their eggs, but the fact that they would carve out space in concrete was as audacious to meas cutting out space in a book.
I am definitely going to try this out, but I think I'll find an old paperback for 10 cents and give it a go!
No comments:
Post a Comment