

Often I find myself in a design rut and I have no idea what to do next. My sharpie is as dry as my mind, my dog ate my sketchbook, I'm hungry and it's high noon. You know the moment, where you want to save the world through your design but all you can come up with is a random trash can created from shredded paper? (OK, maybe that's just me.) But then you find something so brilliant and yet so simple that you're inspired again? Well leave it to the Japanese to take something so small and boring, yet functional and make it into something beautiful and functional. Ladies and gentlemen, The Barcode.
We see this on every item we purchase and it helps the cashier ring us up quickly and efficiently (unless for some reason it's a box of condoms or tampons...then it requires a price check over the intercom). However, some of the simplest aspects of our life are looked over and we, as designers, have an opportunity to truly make a "mark". I love the simplicity and elegance of these designs and I'm reminded of Louis Sullivan who said 'form ever follows function' (although 'form follows function' is how it is usually phrased today). Now, of course this statement begs for a debate regarding design integrity and creating a design that leaves nothing wanting because we don't want to be viewed as just people who ornament, but when you look at these barcodes you truly believe Sullivan's statement. The human experience is enhanced by aesthetics. But I have to askthe questions, is it just pretty,with the added aesthetic detracting from the simple and optimal use of the barcode? Or, is it useful aesthetically, by developing goodwill with the the customer through unique branding?
No comments:
Post a Comment