Thursday, September 3, 2009

Design on the Run

I love this cover created for the New Yorker on an Iphone.

Well folks, as any designer knows, any Brian, James, or Sally, can buy Creative Suite, learn it and call themselves a graphic designer. One unsuspecting client, suds, pole, and poof! Lee's Laundromat and Strip Club has a new pixelated logo and bad typography. Well look out illustrators, now, thanks to our friendly Iphone developers, anyone can paint and illustrate for Lee's Laundry Mat and Strip Club. Although I'm hoping it will reach only moral and esthetically righteous consumers!

Everything is different now. For you, aestetically righteous people, can now paint waiting for the bus, buying a coffee, or walking your dog. For $4.99, anyone with an Iphone and a dream can leave the paints, canvas, and torture at home and create magic on their screen. (Talent is optional). But that also means designers can slap some text up there too and you've got a album cover or business card (after a bit of conceptualizing of course)...the possibilities are awesome! (Bluetooth would be a great addition to this too.)

I have to admit that the very first app I bought for my Iphone was Brushes. This painting app is wonderful and is the best finger painting experience I have ever had. The Undo has lonngggg hstory. Plus typical scribbles look less like digital sketches and more like real-world creations splashed across a canvas with this App. But I start to wonder, if we can paint full and beautiful artwork on these little screens...will people forget to bust out the canvas, paint, pens, and pencils to create? While I love new technology, I have to ask the question, does it make us lazy? Or just more productive? Don't you wish life had an CMD+Z?

No comments:

Post a Comment